Package install worked yesterday, but not today. Very strange error reported

We are creating a managed package, which recently passed the received security review, and have had no issues installing it in DE and EE orgs…until today. Today, installs are failing in production and sandbox EE and Perf. Edition orgs with the following hard-to-comprehend error message.

Problem: Unable to Access Page

Component: (Product_Team)

Detail: “The value of the “{0}” parameter contains a character that is not allowed or the value exceeds the maximum allowed length. Remove the character from the parameter value or reduce the value length and resubmit. If the error still persists, report it to our Customer Support team. Provide the URL of the page you were requesting as well as any other related information.”

Product_Team” is a permission set in the package. It does not define any master-detail relationships to standard objects (so I don’t believe it is this issue, which I have encountered before:

Why am I getting an “unable to access page” during a package install? What is the “{0}” parameter value a reference to?

Any insight would be appreciated.


Thank you for visiting the Q&A section on Magenaut. Please note that all the answers may not help you solve the issue immediately. So please treat them as advisements. If you found the post helpful (or not), leave a comment & I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Method 1

I wanted to update this post with what I found out. I discovered what was causing the intermittent install failure. It was the new feature available during package upload called “Post Install Instructions”. If you select the “Visualforce Page” option and point to a VF page, this will cause the failure to install in some orgs. I created a patch org and uploaded a new package, making no other changes besides setting “Post Install Instructions” to “None”. The resulting package installed in all the orgs in which it had previously failed.

As I wrote above, the error seems to reference a permission set, but this makes no sense. Why would the admin installing the app need a permission set to access the VF page? And even so, the permission set that is referenced has been granted access to the VF page. So the error is a red herring (or points to the platform bug).

Anyway, I would caution against using the “Post Install Instructions” feature with the “VF” option.

Frustratingly, SF support all but admitted it was a bug, but closed my case and refused to create a Known Issue out of it. They suggested I post on the developer boards, where other SF folks would take up my case. I haven’t taken the time yet to do that…

All methods was sourced from or, is licensed under cc by-sa 2.5, cc by-sa 3.0 and cc by-sa 4.0

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x