ASP.NET Excel export encoding problem

I’m doing some Excel Exports on the ASP.NET Site.
Everything works except of the Encoding. When I open it in Excel, it looks like this:

Eingabe Kosten je Gerät Gerät:
Gerätebezeichnung:
Betriebsmittel Heizöl in €: 4
Dieselverbrauch in €: 4

This is my code:

Response.Clear();
Response.ContentType = "application/ms-excel";
Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "inline;filename=NachkalkGeraete.xls;");
var writer = new HtmlTextWriter(Response.Output);

SomeControl.RenderControl(writer); /* FormView, Table, DataGrid... */

Response.End();

I’ve already tried explicitly set the Encoding.. but no change occured:
Response.Clear();
Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.ms-excel";
Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=NachkalkGeraete.xls");

Response.BufferOutput = true;
Response.ContentEncoding = System.Text.Encoding.UTF8;
Response.Charset = "UTF-8";
EnableViewState = false;

System.IO.StringWriter tw = new System.IO.StringWriter();
HtmlTextWriter hw = new HtmlTextWriter(tw);

SomeControl.RenderControl(hw);

Response.Write(tw.ToString());
Response.End();

What is wrong, please?

Answers:

Thank you for visiting the Q&A section on Magenaut. Please note that all the answers may not help you solve the issue immediately. So please treat them as advisements. If you found the post helpful (or not), leave a comment & I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Method 1

Well I found out that the problem could be in the header of the excel file, that it does not contain the BOM byte sequence (at the beginning of the file representing the encoding used).

So I made it this way and it works for me:

Response.Clear();
Response.AddHeader("content-disposition","attachment;filename=Test.xls");   
Response.ContentType = "application/ms-excel";
Response.ContentEncoding = System.Text.Encoding.Unicode;
Response.BinaryWrite(System.Text.Encoding.Unicode.GetPreamble());

System.IO.StringWriter sw = new System.IO.StringWriter();
System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter hw = new HtmlTextWriter(sw);

FormView1.RenderControl(hw);

Response.Write(sw.ToString());
Response.End();

Method 2

Have you tried setting the encoding in a meta tag in the HTML?

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="application/xhtml+xml; charset=UTF-8" />

Excel won’t see the response headers, so it won’t know what the Response.Encoding is. The meta tag allows it to find out.

Method 3

For instances where UTF8 is needed…

FileInfo dataExportFile = new FileInfo(dsExport.Tables[0].Rows[0]["DataExportFile"].ToString());

Response.Clear();
Response.ContentType = "application/ms-excel";                        
Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment;filename=" + dataExportFile.Name);
Response.ContentEncoding = System.Text.Encoding.UTF8;
Response.BinaryWrite(System.Text.Encoding.UTF8.GetPreamble());
Response.TransmitFile(dataExportFile.FullName);

Method 4

I got same problem with spanish characters and solved it with this line of code.

        response.ContentEncoding = System.Text.Encoding.Default ;

hope this helps

Method 5

add
Response.BinaryWrite(System.Text.Encoding.Unicode.GetPreamble());

Method 6

You can try to use “Server.HtmlDecode” to decode these words like “João”

protected void GridView1_RowCommand(object sender, GridViewCommandEventArgs e){
String wrong = "João";
String corrected = Server.HtmlDecode(wrong);}


All methods was sourced from stackoverflow.com or stackexchange.com, is licensed under cc by-sa 2.5, cc by-sa 3.0 and cc by-sa 4.0

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x