How can I connect a SQL database to a webhosted site with IIS on the web?

I am building a test web application in core and I have hosted my site from laptop. Everything seems good but when I go to access any database related page the page just loads for a bit until it gives me an error and prompts me to go developer mode to see more relevant information(which I can’t because the site is not on localhost it is on the web). I tried to change my connection string to different iterations it did not work, the site works locally with IIS express. Frankly I do not know what to do the documentation seems to be not existent so I would appreciate your help. You can test the website at

The connection string in use is:

"ConnectionStrings" : {
   "Default": "Data Source=DESKTOP-BULSITK\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=TimsDinerDB;Integrated 

The database related pages are Create Order, List Foods, List Orders

This setup as mentioned previously works locally but when I host my site on the web it just does not connect, the hosting occurs from laptop in both cases(no change of OS or hardware on anything). I cannot post all the code of the test site here but if it is necessary I could put all the code in github, but I do not thing this is the problem.


Thank you for visiting the Q&A section on Magenaut. Please note that all the answers may not help you solve the issue immediately. So please treat them as advisements. If you found the post helpful (or not), leave a comment & I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Method 1

Ok so after a lot of hours I fixed it, I am not exactly certain what fixed it but I believe it was probably my changes on the connection string,
So the final connection string was:

"ConnectionStrings": {
"Default": "Server=.\SQLExpress;Initial Catalog=TimsDinerDB;User Id=sa;Password=[Password];Connect Timeout=30;Encrypt=False;TrustServerCertificate=False;ApplicationIntent=ReadWrite;MultiSubnetFailover=False"}

you have to first activate the sa(server administrator) user from sql server for this one to work, and fill the password with the password you add to the sa user. I will try to see if it can be done with other users too. Other change I made was in security to add the IUSRS permissions to read write and modify but I am not certain if that was necessary.

All methods was sourced from or, is licensed under cc by-sa 2.5, cc by-sa 3.0 and cc by-sa 4.0

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x